Sunday 4 September 2011

New Testament Warnings About False Teachers & Prophets


2 Peter Chapter 2
I recently read that every book of the New Testament (except Philemon) contains warnings about false teachers and false prophets. So I thought I would investigate it for myself. I will share my results shortly but before I do, I'd like to make a point. For me, if the Bible says something once I try to take notice. If it says something twice I sit up and take notice. What do we do if it says it more than twice? As watchmen, we sound the alarm. Read on and see if this point is appropriate.

Over the course of a couple of days we searched the scriptures to see if this assertion (about false teachers/prophets) was so (Acts 17:11). Below is a list we have put together. It is by no means exhaustive, we were just looking to see if we could find just one mention or allusion to false teachers in each book of the NT. There are some books who have a great deal to say on the subject and our list is not indicative of the "best" verses available. In fact we confess we only attempted a cursory examination due to time constraints in our lives but I think this point adds weight to the argument that it's time for us to sound the alarm, because if what we found in a very brief survey is an indicator of what the Bible says on the topic, I for one consider myself warned.

So now to our list. Here's where we need your help. We haven't yet found relevant verses in 1 Corinthians, James or 1 Peter (keep in mind we are excluding Philemon). Please search these books and send us your findings, if any.

  • Matt 7:15 24:24
  • Mark 13:6
  • Luke 11
  • John 10:11-13
  • Acts 20:29-31
  • Rom 16:17-18
  • 1 Cor
  • 2 Cor 11:13-15
  • Gal 1:6-9
  • Eph 4:14
  • Phil 1:15-17 &  3:2-3
  • Col 2:8
  • 1 Thes Chapter 1 & 5:1-3
  • 2 Thes 2:8-10
  • 1 Tim 1:3-7 4:1
  • 2 Tim 3:6-9 4:3-4
  • Titus 1:10-11
  • Philemon
  • Heb 13:9
  • James
  • 1 Pet
  • 2 Pet 2:1-3
  • 1 John 4:1
  • 2 John 1:7-9
  • 3 John 1:9-11
  • Jude 1:4
  • Rev 13:13-14

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll get to work looking. :-)

James said...

Garth,
As I understand your request, you would like the reader to assist in you in finding scriptures specific to false teachers and profits within the New Testament, is this correct? Of course I'll see what I can do, however, I doubt it possible to do any better than you. As always, I find your blog to be meaningful and useful. Thanks for your efforts. Jim

Likeflint said...

Hi James. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. Yes, I am asking the reader to assist in this research. I love to colloborate with Brothers and Sisters in Christ. Cheers and thanks again.

Anonymous said...

2 Peter 3:3-4

Unknown said...

Many thanks for taking some of the donkey work off me - putting out a web site on similar lines to yourself I started collating all of the NT warning scriptures, starting of course with Christ's warnings - and looked for an easier way thus coming across your work. Thanks James

Likeflint said...

Hi Abraham. What I have here came from just a very fast trip through the NT. I know there would be more references than these. Would you care to share your findings? Cheers and thanks for the comment.

Grahame said...

Two years ago yesterday since someone commented. On my birthday!

I've been through James and I think it would be a stretch to say there is a specific verse against false teachers.

I'm also not seeing anything in I Peter that easily lends itself to direct application against false teachers.

And the closest I can find in I Corinthians is

1Co 11:19 for there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized.

Not a warning directly but a very clear implied warning, I think.

Hope that helps somewhat.

If I find more, I'll let you know.