Sunday 16 October 2011

Running To Win

Son of Flint & Bearded Dragon
I was talking to a friend recently about his Christian walk and his study of the scriptures. Over the years we have helped each other with brotherely advice (sometimes after a stumble) and I was talking about how Paul, when writing to the Corinthains said "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize" (1 Corinthians 9:24).

I suggested he take his walk and study "one bite at a time" and "chew slowly". I also mentioned he take "one step at a time".  You see, without plainly stating the scripture, what we were discussing was the very next verse in 1 Corinthians 9, where Paul, building on his theme of atheletes states "Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever" (1 Corinthians 9:25). So it is not too far off the track to talk about training, one step at a time, adding to the whole, one brick at a time, buidling upon a sure foundation (Luke 6:46-9).

As I have explained to many in my personal life, the more I study the Bible, the more I feel a sense of urgency about the Church getting its house in order so She may present herself pure when the Bridegroom arrives. Nevertheless, whether you think we need to move faster, or slow but steady, let us be sure to adapt Paul's attitude. He says: "I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" Philippians 3:14. Let us also press on.


No comments: